If you are at all interested in learning about the arts and culture of Abu Dhabi, then the Cultural Foundation is the place to start. Founded in 1981, the Cultural Foundation was the first institution in the United Arab Emirates dedicated to the creation, appreciation, and preservation of Emerati arts and literature.
Whether you are there to see an exhibit or just popping by to look at its modern architecture, visitors are invited to walk through the intricately tiled passageways to view artifacts, pieces of art, and models of Abu Dhabi. You can also attend any of the monthly workshops or lectures hosted by the Foundation.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The foundation is wheelchair and disability accessible.
- If you are hungry, grab a bite to eat at one of the restaurants inside the Cultural Foundation.
- Parking is available across the street or in an underground lot.
- Large groups are encouraged to pre-book tours online.
How to Get There
The Cultural Foundation is located in the heart of Abu Dhabi, opposite of Qasr Al Hosn—the oldest stone building in the city—facing Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum Street. The Foundation is best reached by car/taxi and is approximately a 30-minute drive from the Abu Dhabi International Airport.
When to Get There
The cultural center is open Saturday to Thursday from 10am to 8pm, and on Friday from noon to 10pm. Check the website to see what exhibitions are on display and any scheduled performances.
Abu Dhabi Corniche After an afternoon or evening spent learning about the traditions and culture of Abu Dhabi, walk a few blocks southeast to stroll or bike along the waterfront Corniche. Stop for a snack at a cafe, sit in one of the gardens, or kick back on Corniche Beach for a little R&R.
- Things to do in Dubai
- Things to do in Sharjah
- Things to do in Umm Al Quwain
- Things to do in Ras Al Khaimah
- Things to do in Doha
- Things to do in Manama
- Things to do in Muscat
- Things to do in Salalah
- Things to do in Gujarat
- Things to do in Rajasthan
- Things to do in Kuwait City
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Maharashtra