Venustempel Sex Museum
Tickets for the Venustempel Sex Museum include full access to the exhibitions, and the small museum is easy to explore on a self-guided tour. You can also combine a visit to the museum with an Amsterdam city tour, a walking tour of the Red Light District, or a coffee shop tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Plan around an hour for your visit—that’s plenty of time to take in all the exhibitions.
Visitors under 16 years old are not permitted to enter the museum; identification may be required.
The museum is not accessible for wheelchair users or strollers.
How to Get There
The museum is conveniently located near the Central Station within Amsterdam’s canal ring. It’s about a five-minute walk from Dam Square and situated close to attractions such as the Oude Church, the Royal Palace, and the Anne Frank House.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily year round and stays open late—around 11:30pm or so. The small museum can get crowded during peak season (July and August), so opt for an early morning or late evening visit.
Inside the Venustempel
More than just a display of erotically charged items, the museum charts how sex has been regarded and experienced throughout periods of history, including ancient Egypt and Rome and the repressive Middle Ages. The museum also has a permanent display of erotic paintings, statues, recordings, photographs, and artifacts.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- Museum of Medieval Torture Instruments
- Museum Our Lord in the Attic (Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder)
- St. Nicholas Basilica (Sint Nicolaasbasiliek)
- Old Church (Oude Kerk)
- Body Worlds Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Red Light District (De Wallen)
- Red Light Secrets (Museum of Prostitution)
- Dam Square
- New Church (Nieuwe Kerk)
- Amsterdam Central Station
- National Monument (Nationaal Monument op de Dam)
- New Market Square (Nieuwmarkt)
- Madame Tussauds Amsterdam