Get your bearings in the old town and venture farther afield to experience Colca Canyon (Cañón del Colca), one of Peru’s most impressive natural wonders, with two days in the UNESCO-listed city.
Moral House (Casa de Moral)
Calle Moral 318, Arequipa, Peru
Moral House’s lavishly decorated rooms offer insight into the life of the colonial elite during the 18th and 19th centuries, making the museum an important stop on several Arequipa tours. Out back, you can stroll through a small but well-manicured garden that’s good for photo ops. Go to the museum independently, or as part of a tour of colonial Arequipa that combines a trip to Moral House with visits to other sites.
Things to Know Before You Go
With a collection of works from the Cusco School of Painting, Moral House is a must-do for art aficionados.
Allow about an hour and a half to explore the rooms and courtyards.
There’s a small admission fee to enter the museum.
How to Get There
Moral House is located at Calle Moral 318, about a 30-minute drive outside of Arequipa’s historical center. Active travelers can opt to walk about an hour and a half from Plaza de Armas, past several buildings made from sillar.
When to Get There
Moral House is open every day, morning through afternoon. Hours vary depending on the day of the week, so check online before going. The museum’s location on the outskirts of the city means that it’s rarely crowded.
Art in Arequipa
Moral House isn’t the only place in Arequipa that harbors a prestigious collection of art. You’ll also find the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo, which showcases work from the beginning of the 20th century onward. And in the heart of the historical center stands the renowned Complejo Cultural Chaves de la Rosa de la UNSA, considered a world-class exhibition space.
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Puerto Maldonado
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Uyuni
- Things to do in Lima
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Amazon
- Santa Catalina Monastery (Monasterio de Santa Catalina)
- Plaza de Armas
- Historic Centre of Arequipa
- Basilica Cathedral of Arequipa
- La Compañía Church (Iglesia de la Compañía)
- Recoleta Convent (Monasterio de la Recoleta)
- Museum of Andean Sanctuaries (Museo Santuarios Andinos)
- Sachaca District
- Cayma District
- Founder's Mansion (La Mansión del Fundador)
- Sabandía Mill (Molino de Sabandía)
- Sabandía District
- Chachani Volcano