Martyrs' Lane (Şehidler Xiyabani) Tours and Activities
In the early days of 1990 during the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Baku was the site of a violent crackdown on the Azerbaijani independence movement, leaving hundreds of civilians dead. Built atop a former cemetery destroyed after the Bolsheviks came into power, Martyrs’ Lane is a memorial to some 15,000 Azerbaijani heroes, including those who lost their lives during the Black January massacre.
Rising from the center of the memorial is the Eternal Flame; it’s common to see fresh wreaths here left by Azerbaijani citizens who’ve come to honor the dead. The main “lane” of the memorial has marble walls to either side bearing the names of the martyrs buried there. Also of interest is the British memorial stone honoring British servicemen who died there toward the end of World War I.
Tours and Activities to Experience Martyrs' Lane (Şehidler Xiyabani)
- Azerbaijan National Carpet Museum (Azerbaycan Milli Xalça Muzeyi)
- Baku Ferris Wheel (Baku Eye)
- Palace of the Shirvanshahs (Şirvanşahlar Sarayi Kompleksi)
- Baku Old City (Icherisheher)
- Maiden Tower (Qiz Qalasi)
- Fountains Square (Fevvareler Meydani)
- Baku Boulevard (Denizkenari Milli Park)
- Bibi-Heybat Mosque (Bibiheybet Mescidi)
- Heydar Aliyev Center
- Flame Towers (Alov Qülleleri)
- Yanar Dag