Bannerghatta National Park
Forests and scrubs cover the hilly park, which plays home to all sorts of wild creatures, including elephants, deer, leopards, and even bears. It also offers an interesting variety of plant life, including tamarind, eucalyptus, and sandalwood. This off-the-beaten-track attraction makes for an excellent day trip from Bangalore, and private tours from the city are available for those who don't want to figure out bus schedules or book taxis and tickets independently.
Things to Know Before You Go
Bannerghatta National Park is great for families with young kids.
Don’t forget sunscreen, bug spray, and comfortable shoes.
Book ahead or go with a tour to guarantee a seat in a safari vehicle.
How to Get There
Bannerghatta National Park is located south of Bangalore, about an hour's drive from the city center or an hour and a half by bus. Mysore is a 3-hour drive away, and the park can be visited as a stop off between the two cities, if traveling by car or taxi.
When to Get There
The park is open throughout the year, except Tuesdays. Weekdays can be busy with school groups, while weekends get lots of families. However, the biggest consideration for many travelers is weather. While the climate is generally mild in the region, with warm winters and not-too-hot summers, monsoon rains fall from June through September and can put a literal damper on outdoor activities.
Many travelers come here for safaris, and the park offers three different experiences: lion and tiger safaris, bear safaris, or even herbivore safaris, which focus on all sorts of native deer (though you may even spot an elephant). Visitors travel in special secure vehicles and are joined by local guides who are experts in animal spotting.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Bangalore Palace
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- Vidhana Soudha
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Fun World & Water World
- Art of Living International Center (Art of Living Ashram)