Food Lover's Guide to Bangalore
As one of India's most cosmopolitan cities, Bangalore boasts a diverse dining scene, which offers everything from cosy vegan cafes to cafeterias that serve south Indian staples—not to mention a thriving pub scene. Don't miss these delicious dishes and culinary experiences on your next trip to Bangalore.
Bangalore’s culinary repertoire is influenced by cuisines from across southern India. Breakfast is a big deal; a wide variety of India’s ubiquitous potato-stuffed crepes, known as masala dosas, feature on many a Bangalore menu, alongside idlis, rice-and-lentil-cakes served steamed or sometimes fried. Though originally from coastal Karnataka, Mangalore buns (soft buns made of flour and bananas) are also worth sampling, as are sweet local flatbreads known as puran poli. And if you're into beer, make sure you try some local brews; the craft beer culture is huge in Bangalore, and the city offer multiple pubs to choose from.
- Start your day with a breakfast of dosas and idlis at one of the city’s numerous breakfast cafeterias.
- Learn how to cook south Indian food during a cooking class at the home of a local family.
- Fill up on street foods on a walking tour of VV Puram Food Street.
- Drop in to some of Bangalore’s many breweries on a pub crawl.
- Take a day trip to the countryside for a vineyard visit and wine tasting.