Els Quatre Gats
The restaurant’s artistic prowess has been intact since its opening in 1897, and paintings by Picasso, Rusiñol, Casas, and Nonell remind customers of the greats that once dined within its walls. While many Barcelona visitors opt for a meal at the historic restaurant, it also features as a short stop on Picasso-themed tours of the Gothic Quarter and El Born (along with the Picasso Museum). Fans of the bestselling novelThe Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, can follow in the footsteps of its characters to notable locations including Els Quatre Gats and the church of Santa Maria del Mar, during a literary walking tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Els Quatre Gats is a must-visit for anyone interested in Barcelona’s modernisme movement.
The restaurant is wheelchair-accessible.
The café toward the front tends to be quite casual, but the dining room toward the back is more formal; dress accordingly.
How to Get There
The café is within walking distance of just about anywhere in the old city. To get there by public transportation, take the metro (line 1 or 3) to Catalunya and walk from there.
When to Get There
The restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with a gastropub serving drinks and small bites throughout the afternoon and evening. If you’re here during the summer high season, plan to visit first thing in the morning for coffee and a croissant.
To Eat or Not to Eat
The atmosphere of Els Quatre Gats tends to outshine the food, which can be pricey and less authentic than what you can find elsewhere in Barcelona. To soak up the atmosphere of the space without sacrificing a meal, opt for breakfast or an evening drink with dessert.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Via Sepulcral Romana
- House of Silk (La Casa de la Seda)
- Hard Rock Café Barcelona
- Barcelona Cathedral (Catedral de Barcelona)
- Las Ramblas
- Palace of Catalan Music (Palau de la Música Catalana)
- Placa de Sant Felip Neri
- Frederic Mares Museum (Museu Frederic Mares)
- Teatre Poliorama
- Catalunya Square (Plaça de Catalunya)
- Santa Caterina Market (Mercat de Santa Caterina)
- Erotic Museum of Barcelona (Museu de l'Erotica)
- Basilica of Santa Maria del Pi
- Temple of Augustus (Temple d'August)
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)