Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
The museum is divided into eight sections, which collectively contain more than 8,000 objects. Rooms—which are categorized according to history, culture, legality, and more—exhibit photos, paintings, and paraphernalia, and reveal the recreational and medicinal uses of hemp and cannabis. The culture room showcases examples of cannabis in art and music, while the Prohibition/Anti-Prohibition Room outlines arguments for and against legalization. Book your tickets ahead of time to avoid waiting in line on the day.
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum is ideal for architecture fans and those with an interest in cannabis.
Children under the age of 13 can enter for free in the company of an adult.
Free audio guides are available in six languages.
Due to the historical building that houses it, the museum is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The museum is located within the Gothic Quarter, which is within walking distance of El Born and Las Ramblas. The closest metro stations are Jaume I and Barceloneta. A number of buses also stop nearby, including the 45, 59, and 120.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily well into the evening. Take advantage of later opening hours and save the museum for the end of the day, after most other attractions have closed. Guided tours are offered on Saturdays in Spanish, and on Sundays in Catalan.
Now a national monument, Palau Mornau was originally built in the 16th century as a palace for a noble family. In the early 20th century, the building underwent extensive renovations in the Modernista style by architect Manuel Raspall, who added stained glass windows, wrought iron balconies, and a faux stone façade. It underwent a 10-year renovation before the museum’s opening, and aspects of the museum’s theme were integrated into the new décor.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Ciutat Vella (Old Town)
- George Orwell Square (Plaça de George Orwell)
- Barcelona City Hall (Casa de la Ciutat)
- St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
- Gothic Quarter (Barri Gotic)
- St. James Square (Plaça de Sant Jaume)
- Catalan Regional Government Building (Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya)
- Barcelona Cruise Port
- Temple of Augustus (Temple d'August)
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)
- El Born
- Barcelona Wax Museum
- History Museum of Catalonia (Museu d'Historia de Catalunya)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Placa del Rei