History Museum of Catalonia (Museu d'Historia de Catalunya)
With excellent exhibits and galleries, the spacious History Museum of Catalonia feels like a hidden gem—rarely crowded despite the throngs of people just outside. The collection is laid out chronologically in eight areas across four floors, perfect for getting a thorough overview of the region’s history and heritage before heading out to explore. Some architecture-focused walking tours include a stop at the museum to see its restored lobby and to take in the views from its rooftop terrace, both of which you are able to visit without a ticket.
Things to Know Before You Go
The History Museum of Catalonia is a must-visit for history buffs, families, and first-time visitors.
The museum is wheelchair-accessible, and wheelchairs are available for visitor use.
The permanent and temporary exhibits require separate admission but can be combined at a discount.
How to Get There
The museum is located at Port Vell, at Moll de la Barceloneta, in Barcelona. The closest metro stop is Barceloneta on the Yellow Line.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday to Sunday throughout the year, with shorter hours on Sundays and public holidays. Since the climate-controlled space doesn’t draw the crowds of other more popular attractions, it’s an excellent option for a rainy day or during a particularly hot summer afternoon.
Palau de Mar
Standing watch over the Barcelona waterfront, the historic brick building that now houses the museum was originally built in the 1880s to store goods arriving at the port. Since getting a facelift in anticipation of the 1992 Olympics, the building now houses several street-level bars and restaurants.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
- Barceloneta Beach
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- Barcelona Aquarium (L'Aquàrium Barcelona)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum
- El Born
- Ciutat Vella (Old Town)
- Barcelona Zoo
- El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)
- European Museum of Modern Art (MEAM)
- Barcelona City Hall (Casa de la Ciutat)