Three days in Beirut allow you to check off the city’s signature sights and discover the joys of Lebanese food. In addition to the coastal charms of Byblos and the beautiful Jeita Grotto, you can get out into the valleys and add one (or two) more of Lebanon’s UNESCO-listed sites to your list.
Hamra Street (Rue Hamra)
Take a walk through Lebanon's cultural history on a visit to Hamra Street (Rue Hamra) in Beirut. In the 1960s and 1970s, the neighborhood served as a cultural epicenter for progressive artists and thinkers, its many art galleries and multicultural way of life representing a new era in Lebanese history. Though far more commercial present day, Hamra maintains its energetic atmosphere, and a visit to the neighborhood is highly recommended.
Thanks to a new wave of bars and restaurants and a lasting (and thriving) art scene, Hamra is still one of the most cosmopolitan neighborhoods in the city, and is frequented by tourists, locals and students from the nearby American University of Beirut.
While most of the original art galleries no longer exist, numerous new oneshave taken their place, includingArt Circle, Agial and Zaman. Theaters and music venues also call Hamra Street home, with Metro Madina, Masrah Babel and Democratic Republic of Music offering a range of cultural performances as well as a modern venue.
Hamra Street, Beirut, Lebanon
A visit to Hamra Street can be combined with a trip to the National Museum plus the Mim Mineral and Banque Du Liban museums on a Beirut museums day tour. If not arriving as part of a tour, you can reach Hamra Street by taxi or on foot.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Hamra Street (Rue Hamra)?
Attractions near Hamra Street (Rue Hamra):
What else should I know about attractions in Beirut?
- Things to do in Larnaca
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Amman
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Bethlehem
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Port Said
- Things to do in Alanya
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Aqaba
- Things to do in Suez
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Cappadocia
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Banque du Liban Museum (Musée de la Banque du Liban)
- Martyrs' Square (Place des Martyrs)
- Downtown Beirut (Beirut Central District)
- Mim Mineral Museum Beirut (Mim Musée des Minéraux Beyrouth)
- Beirut National Museum (Musée National de Beyrouth)
- Jeita Grotto
- Our Lady of Lebanon (Notre Dame du Liban)
- Beiteddine (Beit ed-Dine)
- Byblos (Jbeil)
- Forest of the Cedars of God (Horsh Arz el-Rab)
- Sidon (Saida)
- Chateau Ksara
- Qadisha Valley (Wadi Kadisha)