Shaded avenues criss-cross the park and converge at Victory Tower, a column with a golden angel on top, built to celebrate a German victory over the Danish in the Danish-Prussian war. Statues of kings, queens, and famous Germans such as Goethe and Wagne can be found throughout Tiergarten. The park is also home to the Berlin Zoo and Aquarium (in fact, “Tiergarten” means animal garden in German). The German president’s official residence is also found in the park, although it is not open to visitors.
As a famous landmark, Tiergarten Park is featured on many Berlin walking, bike, and Segway tours—whether you want to explore in a group or private excursion. Depending on your interests, you can also opt for a themed tour to delve into Berlin’s history and culture.
Things to Know Before You Go
The park is open to the public 24 hours a day.
Climb the 285 steps of the Victory Column for great views of the city.
Some attractions inside the park, such as the Berlin zoo, require a ticket to enter.
How to Get There
The Tiergarten covers a large area of central Berlin, stretching from Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor) in the east to Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in the west. Several metro stations dot the edge, including Zoo Berlin (Zoologischer Garten), Bundestag, Brandenburg Gate, and Hansaplatz. The park is also accessible via guided walking, bike, or Segway tours.
When to Get There
As a public space, the park is open 24 hours a day. Other attractions, such as the zoo, have separate opening hours, so check before visiting. The park is most popular in the spring and summer when the weather is at its best.
Visit Berlin Zoo and Aquarium
At the southwest corner of the park, you’ll find Berlin Zoo and Aquarium, home to the most complete collection of animal species in the world. Children and adults alike will enjoy spending time here, and you can see everything from giraffes to elephants, hippos, polar bears, and perhaps the most famous resident of all—Bao Bao, the giant panda.
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Berlin Victory Column (Siegessäule)
- Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design (Bauhaus-Archiv Museum für Gestaltung)
- Berlin Zoo and Aquarium
- Schwules Museum (Gay Museum)
- Art Library (Kunstbibliothek)
- Gemälde Gallery (Gemaeldegalerie)
- Museum of Decorative Arts (Kunstgewerbemuseum)
- Berlin Philharmonic Hall (Berliner Philharmonie)
- German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst
- MACHmit! Museum for Children (Kindermuseum MachtMit)
- New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie)
- Berlin Musical Instrument Museum (Musikinstrumenten-Museum)
- Photography Museum (Museum für Fotografie)
- Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (Kaiser-Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche)