Port of the Moon (Port de la Lune)
In the 1990s, great efforts were made to clean up the area, including the buildings, and the waterfront is now lined with pedestrian walkways, bicycle paths, shops, and museums. In 2007, the Port of the Moon waterfront was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its architecture and its significance in global trade. Many city tours stop here, and if you’re taking a Garonne River cruise, you’ll get great views of the port.
Things to know before you go
- As the heart of cultural life in the city, the Port of the Moon is a must-visit area for all visitors to Bordeaux.
- Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to do plenty of walking.
- Most of the promenade is easily accessible by wheelchair.
How to get there
The Port of the Moon waterfront is located along the northwest banks of the Garonne River. Note that the road changes names from Quai Louis XVIII to Quai des Chartrons. If you're coming from the Gare de Bordeaux Saint-Jean, the city's main railway station, you can reach the Porte de Bourgogne arches, considered the symbolic gateway of the Old City, in about 20 minutes on foot.
When to get there
If the local climate is your main consideration, you're best off visiting Bordeaux from late April through October, when the weather is at its most pleasant, though it can get crowded with tourists in the summer months. Note that in August, some small shops might close for a few weeks so that the owners can go on vacation, a common practice across France.
If you're a fan of wine, you may want to come to Bordeaux during the vendange, or grape harvest, which usually takes place at some point in September, if for no other reason than to get a deeper understanding of the role of the wine industry in local life. While some visitors avoid visiting during the grape harvest out of fear that tasting rooms will be closed, many still accept visitors during this busy time.
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Quai Louis XVIII
- Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
- Port of Bordeaux
- Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
- Place de la Bourse (Place Royale)
- Grand Theatre
- Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Porte Cailhau
- Place Gambetta
- Pont de Pierre
- Bordeaux Wine and Trade Museum (Musée du Vin et du Négoce de Bordeaux)
- Porte de Bourgogne
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Palais Gallien