Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History
A walk through this museum reveals permanent exhibits sorted by theme or geography, with Dutch and Russian galleries, a tank area and an aviation hall, and a special gallery devoted to World War I. Occasionally you might catch a themed temporary exhibition. To save time and money, consider visiting in conjunction with the other attractions at Parc Cinquantenaire: the Art and History Museum and Autoworld.
Things to Know Before You Go
This museum is a must-visit for anyone with a passion for military history.
On-site facilities include a museum shop and a cafe serving snacks and proper meals.
The Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
The museum is centrally located in Cinquantenaire Park. It’s easy to get to the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History by public transportation, with plenty of busses serving the area. Trams 61 and 81 also stop nearby. The nearest metro stop is Schuman to the west of the park or Merode, to the east (both are on lines 1 and 5 of the Brussels Metro).
When to Get There
The museum is open daily, Tuesday through Sunday, except on select public holidays (Jan. 1, May 1, Nov. 1, and Dec. 25), when it is closed. The ticket office closes at 4pm. It's a good attraction to visit rain or shine. Check to see what temporary exhibits might be on display if you have some flexibility planning your visit dates.
Cinquantenaire Park is worth a stop for its endless expanses of grass alone (especially if you've got kids with you), but it's also home to plenty of attractions. Highlights include the Art and History Museum (previously known as Cinquantenaire Museum), with its large collection of art and artifacts, and AutoWorld, home to an extensive collection of vintage cars.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Cinquantenaire Park (Parc du Cinquantenaire)
- Art & History Museum
- Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
- European Parliament
- Brussels Royal Palace (Palais Royal de Bruxelles)
- BELvue Museum
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
- Musical Instruments Museum
- Sablon District
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral
- Belgian Comic Strip Center