Margaret Island (Margit-Sziget)
Margaret Island was once a hunting reserve and also houses the ruins of a 13th-century Franciscan monastery and church. The island gets its name from a saint who onced lived there. Take the kids to the zoo, check out the musical fountain, and relax in the thermal pools. City sightseeing tours, hop-on hop-off bus tours, and regional tours often stop at Margaret Island; many offer optional cruises.
Things to Know Before You Go
Margaret Island is an ideal destination for families, offering playgrounds and open space for play.
When the sun is shining, do as the locals do and pack a picnic for dining alfresco.
Discounts to shows on the island’s open-air stage are offered with the Budapest Card.
How to Get There
Margaret Island is in the Danube River, between the Margaret and Árpád bridges. You can walk to the island via the Margaret Bridge, or take the 26 bus, which runs from the Árpád híd metro station, crosses the length of Margaret Island, and terminates at the Nyugati pályaudvar station.
When to Get There
There’s no bad time to visit Margaret Island, though the park is most enjoyable when flowers are blooming and the sun is shining, from April to October. In fall, the foliage is a draw. Weekends are the busiest time on the island.
See Top Budapest Sights from the Danube
Experience Budapest from a different perspective with a cruise on the Danube River. From the water, see the city’s historic bridges, neo-Gothic Hungarian Parliament Building, and world-renowned Buda Castle. Sightseeing cruises typically pass Margaret Island, and many offer amenities like Wi-Fi, drinks, and wine. If you want a personalized experience, you also can book a private river cruise.
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Timisoara
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Belgrade
- Things to do in Cluj-Napoca
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Budapest Pinball Museum
- Lukács Thermal Bath (Szent Lukács Gyógyfürdo)
- House of Parliament (Országház)
- Vasarely Museum (Vasarely Múzeum)
- Chocolate Museum (Csokoládé Múzeum)
- House of Hungarian Art Nouveau (Magyar Szecesszió Háza)
- Liszt Ferenc Square (Liszt Ferenc Tér)
- Museum of Fine Arts Budapest (Szépmuvészeti Múzeum)
- Budapest Liberty Square (Szabadság Tér)
- Budapest Zoo & Botanical Garden (Fővárosi Állat és Növénykert)
- House of Terror Museum (Terror Háza Múzeum)
- Kiscell Museum (Kiscelli Múzeum)
- Heroes' Square (Hosök Tere)
- Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Állami Operaház)
- Budapest Danube River