As a staple of Busan’s cultural and culinary scene, Gukje Market features on the majority of city tours—exploring the market with a guide allows you to overcome language barriers and discover local Korean produce. Day trips and shore excursions typically combine a wander around Gukje Market with stops at the brightly-colored Gamcheon Culture Village; Haedong Yonggungsa Temple, a collection of coastal Buddhist shrines; and Yongdusan Park. The market also tends to feature on food tours of Busan.
Things to know before you go
- With its traditional stalls and street vendors, Gukje Market offers a glimpse of local life in Busan.
- The market spans a flat boulevard, which is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible. However, the stretch can get crowded and feel narrow.
- The market is also home to Gukje Market Food Street, where you can sample local delicacies such as noodles, seaweed rolls, and Korean pancakes.
How to get there
You can reach Gukje Market by way of Nampo-dong Station, via exit number 1. It’s also a 5-minute walk northeast of Jagalchi subway station on metro line 1.
When to get there
Gukje Market is usually open daily, year-round from the early morning until the late evening. To encounter the most locals, head to the market in the early morning, when chefs and vendors are shopping for the freshest ingredients.
Browsing the Markets of Busan
Within walking distance of Gukje Market, you’ll find two more of Busan’s major markets. Just across the road is Bupyeong Market, where locals flock to buy household goods such as pots and pans, and cost-effective clothing. A further few minutes away is Jagalchi Fish Market, where sprawling squids and octopus sit alongside dainty sardines and salmon, making for excellent photo opportunities.
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Fukuoka
- Things to do in Nagasaki
- Things to do in Yongin
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Izumisano
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Kyoto
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Shanghai
- Things to do in Tokyo
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Osaka Prefecture
- Nampodong Street (Theater District)
- Gwangbokdong Food Street
- Jagalchi Fish Market
- Yongdusan Park
- Busan Tower
- Trick Eye Museum Busan
- Gamcheon Culture Village
- UN Memorial Cemetery
- Taejongdae Resort Park
- Geumjeong Mt. Fortress (Geumjeongsanseong)
- Gwangan Bridge (Gwangandaegyo)
- Dongbaek Island (Dongbaekseom)
- Haeundae Beach
- Haedong Yonggung Temple (Haedong Yonggungsa)
- Haedong Yonggungsa Temple