Seven Mile Beach
You’ll find plenty of beaches around Byron Bay and dotting the coastline of the expanded region. But for those that wish to get far out of the town and away from typical surfing and swimming hot spots, expansive Seven Mile Beach calls. This peaceful stretch of sand is ideal for those who prefer a quieter escape and fewer crowds.
Seven Mile Beach stretches from Lennox Head to Broken Head, with the area near Lennox Head also providing access to Lake Ainsworth. This tea-tree infused, freshwater lake makes for a delightful summer getaway where swimming, stand-up paddleboarding, and picnicking are popular activities. On Seven Mile Beach itself, you can try out horseback riding, 4WD excursions, and fishing, or simply soak up the sun while enjoying the calming sounds of the ocean.
Things to know before you go
- Seven Mile Beach is a must-visit for surfers and those looking for a tranquil beach escape.
- Beware of strong currents in the ocean.
- Park only in permitted areas, denoted by signage: If there is no sign, you cannot park.
- The bush around the beach is a sensitive environment: Do not camp, start fires, or leave trash.
How to get there
Seven Mile Beach is around a 25-minute drive south of Byron Bay. There is no public transit access so, if you don’t have your own form of transportation, your best bet is to find a tour leaving from Byron Bay.
When to get there
Parking can be tricky to find around Seven Mile Beach—it’s largely restricted to residents. Try to visit when the beach is at its quietest: early weekday mornings are your best bet.
Broken Head Nature Reserve
At the northern end of Seven Mile Beach, Broken Head Nature Reserve offers a pristine setting in which to hike through rainforest, watch for whales and sea eagles, enjoy a picnic, and relax with your fishing rod. The most popular hiking trail is the Three Sisters track, which leads to a lookout that Aboriginal story says represents three sisters who were turned into the rocky outcrops.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in North Island