As well as chilling on the beach and in the water, Wategos Beach offers the chance to burn off some energy with a hike. The Cape Byron Walking Track passes behind the beach, through rainforest, and over cliff tops, providing stunning views of the ocean and the hinterland. The 2.3-mile (3.7-kilometer loop) takes around two hours to complete. You can also take a 10-minute walk to the Cape Byron Lighthouse and watch humpback and southern right whales pass by in June and July and from September to November.
Dolphins are frequent visitors to the area and a great way to see them is out on the water on a kayaking excursion.
Things to know before you go
- Wategos Beach is a must-visit for outdoor enthusiasts and those looking for a tranquil beach escape.
- Lifeguards patrol the beach only in summer.
- There are restrooms and showers available around the beach.
How to get there
From the center of Byron Bay, it is around a 10-minute drive to Wategos Beach. The only public parking available is metered and it is limited to a maximum of four hours during the day. You can also walk from Byron Bay; it takes around 1-hour to walk along the coastal boardwalk.
When to get there
Busiest times at the beach are weekends and public holidays, so, if you are seeking a quieter experience, it’s a good idea to visit during the week. Cape Byron Lighthouse is a very popular spot for sunset; there are fewer crowds for sunrise.
Located at the end of Cape Byron, below the lighthouse, Little Wategos is Australia’s easternmost beach. As it can only be reached by foot from Wategos Beach or down the track from the lighthouse, it offers a more secluded vibe. The beach is well-protected and great for swimming and sunbathing, as well as rock fishing.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in North Island