Most Isla Mujeres tours leave from Cancun, whether you want to travel by sailboat, catamaran, or motorboat. A snorkeling excursion is one of the best ways to experience the island’s diverse aquatic life, and many Isla Mujeres day trips visit the Manchones, El Meco, or Garrafon reefs. If you’re feeling daring, some tours include a swim with whale sharks, the world’s biggest fish. Combo tours from Cancun allow you to visit Isla Mujeres along with other Riviera Maya attractions such as Contoy Island (Isla Contoy), Xcaret Park, or Chichen Itza.
Recent reviews from experiences in Cancun
Things to Know Before You Go
Isla Mujeres is a must-see destination for beach and wildlife lovers.
Remember to bring a towel, sun protection, and comfortable walking shoes.
It’s a good idea to bring cash (pesos) for gratuities or other purchases.
How to Get There
Isla Mujeres is located just off the coast of Cancun. Ferries run from the mainland every half hour and drop off at the island’s downtown area, close to the beaches and shopping streets. Because Isla Mujeres is only five miles (eight kilometers) long, most people use golf carts or scooters to get around.
When to Get There
Winter is the busiest time to visit, when the weather is warm and dry. Hurricane season runs from May through September and often brings rain and clouds. July and August are the best months to see whale sharks in Isla Mujeres, when hundreds of them gather off the coast.
Things to Do Near Isla Mujeres
Mexico’s Riviera Maya is a paradise for ocean lovers and history buffs, with clear Caribbean waters and ancient Maya ruins such as Tulum and Chichen Itza. Popular mainland destinations include Cancun and Playa del Carmen, while the nearby island of Cozumel is an excellent scuba diving destination, known for its rich coral reefs.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Kin Ha Water Park (Balneario Kin Ha)
- Cave of the Sleeping Sharks
- Garrafon Natural Reef Park
- Playa Norte (North Beach)
- Mandala Cancun Nightclub
- Captain Hook Cancun
- Jolly Roger Pirate Ship
- Cancun Scenic Tower (Torre Escénica)
- Cancun Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Cancún)
- La Isla Shopping Village
- Interactive Aquarium Cancun
- Cancun Hotel Zone (Avenida Kukulkan)
- El Rey Archaeological Zone (Zona Arqueológica El Rey)
- Palapas Park (Parque Las Palapas)
- Cancun Christ the King Church (Iglesia de Cristo Rey)