Fort St. George
While much of the fort is closed to the public, there are areas open to the public. The most notable is the Fort Museum, housed within an old East India Company exchange. The museum’s collection displays portraits, paintings, British governmental uniforms and East India Company relics. Many guided tours of Chennai stop here, and going with a guide is a good way to learn more about the fort’s significance and see things you might not otherwise notice.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Fort St. George is a must-visit for anyone interested in Indian or British colonial history.
- Photography is not allowed inside the museum.
- Pay attention to signage as parts of the fort are off limits to visitors.
- Children under 15 can visit free of charge.
How to Get There
Fort St. George is located just inland from the coast and north of the Napier Bridge and Marina Beach. It's well connected to the rest of the city by public transport: the High Court metro station is about 15 minutes away on foot, while the Chennai Fort commuter railway station takes only around 10 minutes to get to.
When to Get There
Fort St. George is a year-round attraction, and as the museum here is an indoor attraction, it’s a good choice for rainy days in Chennai (common in the monsoon months of June through September). If you want to avoid long lines at the security check, Sunday mornings tend to get fewer crowds. The museum is closed on Fridays and some national holidays.
Around George Town
The area around the fort is known as George Town, and it's worth sticking around after visiting the Fort St. George museum to explore the area Here you'll find a variety of religious sights across faiths, old colonial buildings, and lots of busy local markets that can be visited independently or on organized walking tours of the area.
- 3 Days in Chennai: Suggested Itineraries
- Temples and Churches of Chennai
- Eating in Chennai
- Family Friendly
- Kollywood: Cinema in Chennai
- How to Spend 2 Days in Chennai
- How to Spend 1 Day in Chennai
- How to Spend 3 Days in Chennai
- Top Temples and Churches in Chennai
- Food Lover's Guide to Chennai
- Kollywood: Tamil Cinema in Chennai