Parque Principal (Plaza de Armas)
Come to the Parque Principal day to people-watch and to enjoy the ornate colonial buildings lining the city’s most popular and central square. Get to know the square as part of a walking tour of Chiclayo's landmarks and attractions including Chiclayo Cathedral, the Municipal Palace, Paseo de las Musas and its grand Greek-style statues. A highlight of many tours is the Witch Market, a colorful and fascinating treasure-trove of unusual herbs and healing remedies just off the square.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Parque Principal is a great place for travelers of all ages to enjoy the relaxed local culture.
- Bring a picnic to enjoy in the park.
- The area is suitable for wheelchair users and families.
- Shops and restaurants around the plazaxa0 accept foreign credit cards.
How to Get There
Parque Principal is just a few minutes walking from Chiclayo’s main bus station and about a ten-minute drive from the airport. Chiclayo is the capital of the Lambayeque Department and a three-hour express bus ride north from Trujillo. Chiclayo Cathedral is located in the center of Chiclayo overlooking the Plaza des Armas, an easy walk from the city’s top attractions and hotels. Local taxis are also plentiful.
When to Get There
Soak up a festive atmosphere any time of day. At night, the buildings around the park are illuminated in a soft glow. Come in June for a festival honoring San Pedro and San Pablo, the patron saints of fishermen and farmers; and in August when locals hike to Motupe, a highland village just outside Chicalyo, to mark Cruz de Chalpon with dancing, fireworks and music.
Paseo de las Musas Just south of Parque Principal is the Promenade of the Muses (Paseo de las Musas), a relaxing park built in the 1990s with a surprising decorative motif. Arranged around a grand Greek-style temple—inscribed “Heroica Ciudad de Chiclayo” (Heroic City of Chiclayo) to honor the citizens who defended the city in the war of the Pacific—are nine classical statues depicting mythological muses sculpted by local artist Miguel A. Díaz.
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Lima
- Things to do in Quito
- Things to do in Mindo
- Things to do in Iquitos
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Andes
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Batán Grande (Sicán Archaeological Complex)
- Municipal Palace
- Witch's Market (Mercado de las Brujas)
- Pómac Forest Historic Sanctuary
- Paseo de las Musas
- Chiclayo Cathedral (Iglesia Santa Maria)
- Royal Tombs of Sipan Museum
- Brüning National Archaeological Museum
- Sicán National Museum
- Túcume (Valley of the Pyramids)
- Huaca Rajada (Sipán)