Copenhagen Opera House (Operaen)
Created by architect Henning Larsen and opened in 2005, the Copenhagen Opera House is one of the city’s most recognizable newer structures and one of the world’s most modern opera houses. The auditorium can seat up to 1,700 people and is renowned for its excellent acoustics.
The opera house offers a full program of opera, jazz, ballet, and classical performances. Explore the foyer and roof terrace restaurant at your leisure, or join a behind-the-scenes tour. For exterior viewing, many boat and bus tours also pass by the grand building.
Things to Know Before You Go
Opera season runs from mid-August till June.
To see the auditorium, visitors must buy a ticket to a performance or take part in a guided tour booked in advance.
The restaurant has great views of the royal palace, Amalienborg.
How to Get There
Located on the island of Holmen, opposite the royal palace, the Copenhagen Opera House is a short walk from the city center. Hop-on hop-off buses also stop there.
When to Get There
The opera house is open every day, and visitors can check out the foyer or eat at the restaurant at any time during opening hours. Performance times vary—reserve your ticket in advance.
Head about an hour north of Copenhagen to find Fredensborg Palace, the summer residence of the Danish royal family. The baroque-style palace was built on the banks of a lake in the 18th century, and its extensive landscaped grounds are popular with visitors year-round. The palace itself is typically open to visitors in July.
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in North Holland
- Amalienborg Palace
- Nordre Toldbod Cruise Terminal
- Kunsthal Charlottenborg
- Freetown Christiania
- Christian's Harbor (Christianshavn)
- David Collection (Davids Samling)
- Little Mermaid (Lille Havfrue)
- Old Stock Exchange (Børsen)
- Ruins under Christiansborg Palace
- Thorvaldsens Museum
- Rosenborg Castle (Rosenborg Slot)
- Castle Islet (Slotsholmen)
- Round Tower (Rundetårn)