Kastellet is a typical stop on tours of Copenhagen, which explore the city on foot, by bicycle, or on a Segway; common itineraries also tend to include Round Tower (Rundetaarn), Amalienborg Palace, and Christiansborg Palace (Christiansborg Slot). The grounds also offer excellent views of the iconic Little Mermaid sculpture, the dome of Marmorkirken (Marble Church), and the harbor. Visitors to Kastellet will likely find tourists and locals biking, walking, and picnicking at this scenic destination.
Things to Know Before You Go
Kastellet is a must-visit for those interested in Danish history and architecture.
The site is free to visit.
Kastellet is home to many species of bird, including ducks, swans, and herons.
There is an historical exhibition on display inside the guard building at the North Gate.
How to Get There
Kastellet is around a 15-minute walk from Nyhavn or a 2-minute walk from Osterport train station, which connects you to Copenhagen Central railway station. The 1A bus also stops nearby or you can get there by the local Nordre Toldbod ferry.
When to Get There
The site is open every day from 6am to 10pm. There is a changing of the guard ceremony at the Central Guard House every day at 12pm and military concerts take place at the drill grounds on summer afternoons at 2pm. On 28 October every year, Kastellet marks its anniversary with a concert.
The most prominent prisoner at the citadel prison was the royal physician Johann Friedrich Greve Struensee, whose affair with Queen Matilda led to his execution by the mentally-ill King Christian VII. The longest-serving prisoner was English explorer and pirate John Norcross; he spent 32 years in the prison at Kastellet, 16 of them in a wooden cage.
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in North Holland
- Little Mermaid (Lille Havfrue)
- Nordre Toldbod Cruise Terminal
- Amalienborg Palace
- Langelinie Cruise Terminal
- David Collection (Davids Samling)
- Copenhagen Opera House (Operaen)
- Rosenborg Castle (Rosenborg Slot)
- Rosenborg Castle Gardens (Kongens Have)
- Kunsthal Charlottenborg
- Round Tower (Rundetårn)
- Torvehallerne Market
- Old Stock Exchange (Børsen)
- Ruins under Christiansborg Palace
- Thorvaldsens Museum