Lapidarium of Kings (Kongernes Lapidarium)
The Lapidarium of Kings displays almost 400 sculptures and busts of monarchs, mythological gods, and legendary heroes from Denmark’s castles and gardens. You can explore the collection on a guided or self-guided tour. Entrance is free for holders of the Copenhagen card.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Lapidarium of Kings is a must for history buffs and fans of royal art.
The lapidarium is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The Lapidarium of Kings is located in the vaulted cellars of the King Christian IV’s brewery on Slotsholmen Island in central Copenhagen. The nearest metro station is Kongens Nytorv.
When to Get There
The Lapidarium of Kings is open only 12pm to 4pm from June through August, and for two weeks in October. It is closed on Mondays.
Gathered from royal palaces and gardens around Denmark, including Amalienborg, Fredensborg, and Rosenborg, highlights of the Lapidarium include the plaster version of French sculptor Jacques Saly’s mammoth 18th-century equestrian statue of King Frederik V, which stands in the square outside the Amalienborg palaces, and a series of charming fishermen and farmers sculpted by amateur artist Jørgen Christensen Garnaas between 1764 and 1784. Also of note are two monumental statues of elegant women dressed in Classical Greek style by sculptor Johannes Wiedewelt and an energy-filled depiction of Hercules fighting the Nemean Lion, which King Frederick IV imported from Italy in 1709.
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in North Holland
- Castle Islet (Slotsholmen)
- National Museum of Denmark (Nationalmuseet)
- Christiansborg Palace (Christiansborg Slot)
- Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
- Thorvaldsens Museum
- Ruins under Christiansborg Palace
- Old Stock Exchange (Børsen)
- Kunstforeningen Gl Strand
- Tivoli Gardens
- City Hall Square (Radhuspladsen)
- Ocean Quay Cruise Port
- Casino Copenhagen
- Hard Rock Cafe Copenhagen
- Christian's Harbor (Christianshavn)