The mountain backdrop, clear blue waters, and flour-soft sands combine to make Frangokastello Beach one of the most postcard-perfect beaches on Crete’s south coast. Many visitors based in Chania make day trips to this secluded strand to swim and sunbathe in the shadow of the castle. The sea level here remains knee to waist deep for a long way out, making it especially appealing for those with children.
Things to know before you go
- Frangokastello Beach is a must for families, with safe, swim-friendly waters.
- There is a scattering of cafés and tavernas near the beach.
- Sun loungers and umbrellas can be rented at the beach.
How to get there
Frangokastello Beach is situated on Crete’s southern coast, about 18 miles (30 kilometers) from Plakias, and about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of Chania. The best way to get there is by car, although there is a KTEL bus that goes from Chania to Chora Sfakion, from where you can take a connecting bus to Frangokastello. Bus departures are infrequent so check the schedule ahead of time.
When to get there
July and August are the busiest and hottest months; try coming early in the morning to avoid the intense midday heat. Strong winds can occasionally whip up sand so it’s best to check the forecast before you go.
Built by the Venetians in the 1370s to ward off pirates and keep the Skafia region under control, the castle was the site of a bloody 1828 siege between Greek independence fighters and a local Ottoman ruler. On the anniversary of the battle every May, rumor has it a procession of shadowy figures–known as “Drosoulites” or “dew men”–can be seen at the fortification.
- Things to do in Heraklion
- Things to do in Cyclades Islands
- Things to do in Dodecanese
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Things to do in Santorini
- Things to do in Ios
- Things to do in Kos
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Athens
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Macedonia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast