The museum is of primary interest to fans of Marin Držić—a giant of Croatian literature whose comic plays are included on nearly every school syllabus in the country. He enjoyed little career success during his lifetime, but his works were resurrected in the 19th century during the rebirth of the Croatian cultural heritage movement.
The museum is in the Gothic townhouse in which Držić was born in 1508. In addition to the period set reconstructions, visitors can listen to excerpts from his plays through audio-visual presentations. Temporary modern-art exhibitions and contemporary cartoons round out the remaining gallery space.
Things to know before you go
- It is a local custom to touch the nose on the statue of Držić near the museum entrance for good luck.
- Most of the display placards and multimedia displays are in Croatian, and some exhibits may be confusing for English-speaking visitors.
- Dubrovnik’s other civic museums are included with the same ticket (the Natural History Museum, Modern Art Museum, Rupe Museum, and Gallery Dulčić Masle Pulitika).
- Admission is free for holders of the Dubrovnik Card attraction pass.
How to get there
The museum is best accessed on foot through the pedestrianized streets of Dubrovnik’s Old Town.
When to get there
The museum is open daily, with extended evening hours during the summer. If visiting during the summertime Dubrovnik Festival, look for live performances of Marin Držić’s plays.
Dubrovnik’s Best Museums
With centuries of tumultuous history and a cherished cultural heritage, Dubrovnik tells its story through a handful of high-quality museums. Explore the country’s political strife and wartime history at the Museum of Croatian War of Independence, War Photo Limited museum, and Communist-themed Red History Museum. On the lighter side, gets romantic at the Love Stories Museum, or explore today's Croatian arts scene at the Museum of Modern Art Dubrovnik (MOMAD).
- Things to do in Dalmatia
- Things to do in Kotor
- Things to do in Budva
- Things to do in Podgorica
- Things to do in Makarska
- Things to do in Sarajevo
- Things to do in Hvar
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Sofia
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Ethnographic Museum (Rupe Museum)
- Stradun (Placa)
- Church of St. Blaise (Crkva Sv. Vlaha)
- Sponza Palace (Palaca Sponza)
- Onofrio's Fountain
- Dubrovnik Old Town
- Dubrovnik Ancient City Walls
- Pile Gate
- Fort Bokar
- Orlando's Column (Orlandov Stup)
- Dubrovnik Bell Tower
- Dubrovnik Cathedral Treasury
- Franciscan Church and Monastery
- Rector's Palace (Knezev Dvor)
- Love Stories Museum