Leonardo da Vinci Museum (Museo Leonardo da Vinci)
Take an in-depth look at Leonardo da Vinci’s engineering and mechanical innovations at this immersive museum. Check out the models and life-size machines built according to da Vinci’s original sketches—then head to the workshop area, where you can attempt to re-create his revolutionary arch and bridge, as well as build your own constructions. Book your ticket in advance to breeze past the entry line.
Things to Know Before You Go
With its engaging displays, the Leonardo da Vinci Museum is a fun choice for kids.
A printed guide in English is available at the entrance.
The museum is wheelchair-accessible.
There’s an on-site café and gift shop.
How to Get There
Located on Via Camillo Cavour in the historic center of Florence, the Leonardo da Vinci Museum is a short walk from the train station, Duomo, and Accademia Gallery.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily and offers a nice respite from the summer heat and crowds of Florence’s most popular attractions. Stop in at midday when other sights are overrun with visitors.
Leonardo da Vinci Museums in Florence
Florence has two Leonardo-themed museums, set a few blocks away from one another. The second museum, on Via dei Servi, has a similar hands-on atmosphere as well as kid-friendly workshops dedicated to da Vinci’s building techniques. You’ll also get to see high-resolution images of some of the inventor’s most famous works of art.
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Things to do in Chianti
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Livorno
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Modena
- Things to do in Ravenna
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Emilia-Romagna
- Things to do in Umbria
- Michelangelo's Statue of David (Il Davide di Michelangelo)
- Florence Via Cavour (Via Camillo Cavour)
- Accademia Gallery (Galleria dell'Accademia)
- Medici Riccardi Palace (Palazzo Medici Riccardi)
- Leonardo Interactive Museum®
- Piazza della Santissima Annunziata
- Basilica of San Lorenzo (Basilica di San Lorenzo)
- San Marco Museum
- Florence Central Market (Mercato Centrale)
- Ospedale degli Innocenti
- San Lorenzo Market (Mercato di San Lorenzo)
- Giotto's Bell Tower (Campanile di Giotto)
- Brunelleschi's Dome (Cupola del Brunelleschi)
- Opera del Duomo Museum (Museo dell'Opera del Duomo)
- Medici Chapels