The Petencito Zoo, located on two small islands just east of Flores, offers visitors the chance to encounter local wildlife such as ocelots, pumas, jaguars, spider monkeys, lizards, and crocodiles.
A suspension bridge connects the two islands. Colorful native birds such as the scarlet macaw and toucan can also be spotted here. The zoo maintains various forested trails to walk through as you look for the animals, and several local trees and shrubs can be seen throughout.
Signs in Spanish, English, and Mayan identify the different species. A visit to the zoo grants the opportunity to see the local wildlife from a much closer perspective. Expansive views of the surrounding lake add to the scenery and experience. One trail leads up to a treehouse outlook of the water and surrounding jungle. There are concrete water slides that lead into the lake, though some advise against their use.
What are Petencito Zoo hours of operation?
Should I book Petencito Zoo tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Petencito Zoo 2020?
Things to do near Flores
- Things to do in Petén
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Placencia
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Bacalar
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands