Frankfurt Cathedral (Frankfurter Dom)
Built from striking red sandstone and dominated by a 312-foot (95-meter) tower, the beautifully ornate Frankfurter Dom was heavily damaged by a fire in 1867 and by bombing in World War II. Today, happily, it has been restored to its former glory, and its soaring tower—accessible by stairs—offers panoramic views of the city. Frankfurter Dom features on numerous sightseeing tours, including river cruises, bike tours, and walking tours of the city’s Aldstadt.
Things to Know Before You Go
As part of the Dom Konzerte series, choral and instrumental concerts featuring world-renowned musicians are held at the Frankfurter Dom throughout the year.
The Frankfurter Dom is accessible to wheelchair users and those with limited mobility; it also offers a wheelchair-accessible toilet.
For a small fee, the cathedral’s soaring, Gothic tower is accessible to visitors who wish to brave its 324-step ascent.
How to Get There
Conveniently located in the heart of Frankfurt’s Old Town, Frankfurter Dom can be admired from across the city. To visit via public transportation, take U-Bahn lines U4 or U5 to Dom/Römer station. Alternatively, take trams 11 or 12 to Römer/Paulskirche station.
When to Get There
The Frankfurter Dom is open Monday-Thursday from morning until evening; on Friday from lunchtime till evening, and on Saturday–Sunday from morning until evening. Services are held daily and visitors are asked to remain quiet and respectful if visiting during a service time.
The Cathedral Museum
Opened in 1987 and hosted by Frankfurter Dom’s medieval cloister, the Cathedral Museum traces the cathedral’s regal past through exhibits such as golden altars, reliquaries, artworks, and other treasures. It’s closed on Mondays and is free to enter on the last Saturday of the month.
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in South Holland
- Römerberg Square
- Frankfurt City Hall (Romer)
- St. Paul's Church (Paulskirche)
- Iron Bridge (Eiserner Steg)
- Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)
- German Film Museum (Deutsches Filmmuseum)
- Old Sachsenhausen
- Frankfurt Main Tower
- Städel Museum (Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie)
- Old Opera House (Alte Oper)
- Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof
- Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt)
- Botanical Garden Frankfurt (Palmengarten)