St. Paul's Church (Paulskirche)
Frankfurt sightseeing and walking tours often make a stop at St. Paul's Church and visiting with a guide is a good idea to understand more about the historic context. After admiring the red sandstone exterior—an imposing oval-shaped structure, fronted by a lone bell tower—head inside to explore the church museum with its exhibitions on German history, and see the podium where John F. Kennedy gave a speech in June 1963. Another highlight is a large-scale circular mural ‘The Path of the Representatives to St. Paul’s Church’, by Berlin artist Johannes Grützke.
Things to Know Before You Go
- St. Paul’s Church is a must for history buffs wanting to understand more about Frankfurt’s political history.
- St. Paul’s Church is free; the church no longer holds church services.
- Most areas of St. Paul’s Church are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
St. Paul’s Church is located just northwest of Römerberg Square at the heart of Frankfurt’s Old Town. It’s easy to reach on foot from many of the central attractions and the closest U-Bahn station is Dom/Römer (Lines U4/U5). Trams stop at Römer/Paulskirche, right outside.
When to Get There
St. Paul’s Church is open daily from 10am to 5pm. The church also hosts regular art exhibitions and events in its basement, so it’s worth revisiting—ask at the Tourist Information Center on Romerberg Square for details of upcoming events.
Frankfurt Old Town: A Walking Tour A walking tour of Frankfurt’s oldest district is an atmospheric way to learn about the city’s history. Stop by historic landmarks such as the Old Opera House and the Baroque-style Hauptwache; stroll around the Romerberg with its half-timbered buildings and distinctive City Hall (Romer); and visit the Gothic-style Frankfurt Cathedral, another one of Frankfurt’s most important religious buildings. Dive into Germany’s literary heritage with a tour of the Goethe House, browse the exhibitions at the Frankfurt History Museum, then stroll down to the riverfront, where the Iron Bridge affords panoramic views of the Main River and the Frankfurt skyline.
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in South Holland
- Frankfurt City Hall (Romer)
- Römerberg Square
- Frankfurt Cathedral (Frankfurter Dom)
- Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)
- Iron Bridge (Eiserner Steg)
- Frankfurt Main Tower
- German Film Museum (Deutsches Filmmuseum)
- Old Opera House (Alte Oper)
- Old Sachsenhausen
- Städel Museum (Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie)
- Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof
- Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt)
- Botanical Garden Frankfurt (Palmengarten)