Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMCO)
The Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMCO is the largest contemporary art museum in Switzerland. MAMCO showcases a collection of contemporary works, and hosts several rotating exhibitions annually. Visitors can visit the archive, by appointment, or take a guided tour. Arts enthusiasts shouldn't miss this Swiss beacon of the arts.
Museumgoers sing the praises of MAMCo's permanent collection, with more than 3,000 works celebrating experimental and non-traditional art. To get the most out of the museum, visitors should consider attending an event, listening to an artist talk, or joining a guided tour—English tours are offered on Sundays. After visiting the museum, consider exploring the nearby Plainpalais neighborhood, which is packed with trendy galleries, cafés, and bars with outdoor seating.
Things to know before you go
- Art and design enthusiasts shouldn't miss MAMCo's well-curated exhibitions housed in a renovated factory building.
- MAMCO offers free admission, and guides, on the first Sunday of every month.
- If you plan to join for a tour, confirm the language before you arrive—in Geneva, most events are conducted in French.
- Check the calendar, since the museum often hosts conferences and workshops for kids, and may hold late hours.
How to get there
MAMCO is housed in an industrial building in the bohemian Plainpalais neighborhood of Geneva. It's easy to get to the museum on foot, or by public transit. Hop on the 12 or 15 trams, which stop at Plainpalais. From there, cross Plainpalais Park, and find the museum at 10 Rue des Vieux-Grenadiers. You can also take bus lines 2 and 19 (to the Musée d’ethnographie stop) or bus line 1 (to the École de Médecine stop).
When to get there
The museum is open Tuesday to Friday, between 12pm and 6pm, and Saturdays and Sundays, from 11am to 6pm. MAMCO is closed on Mondays. To save on the price of admission, come during the free days—the first Sunday of each month—but expect some crowds.
Shopping at the Marché de Plainpalais
There's no better place to find the perfect souvenir than at Geneva's famous Plainpalais flea market, held every Wednesday and Saturday. Situated in the Plaine de Plainpalais—just two blocks east of the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art—you find everything from first edition books and estate jewelry to postcards and used watches. The bargains abound.
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Geneva Contemporary Art Centre (Centre d'Art Contemporain Genève)
- Patek Philippe Museum
- Geneva Ethnography Museum (Musée d'Ethnographie de Genève)
- Rath Museum (Musée Rath)
- Bastions Park (Parc des Bastions)
- Maison de Rousseau & de la Littérature (MRL)
- Barbier-Mueller Museum (Musée Barbier-Mueller)
- Tavel House (Maison Tavel)
- Geneva Old Town (Vieille Ville)
- St. Peter's Cathedral (Cathédrale St-Pierre)
- International Museum of the Reformation (Musée International de la Réforme)
- Geneva Museum of Art and History (Musée d'Art et d'Histoire de Genève)
- Rousseau Island (Ile Rousseau)
- Baur Foundation, Museum of Far Eastern Art
- Flower Clock (Horloge Fleurie)