Three days in Guangzhou means you can explore the city’s highlights—both old and new—experience the culture, sample local cuisine, and take a day trip out of town. Here are some ideas on how to spend 72 hours in Guangzhou.
Pearl River (Zhujiang)
According to local legend, the river got its name from a huge boulder in the middle of the river, smoothed by water erosion to resemble a round pearl in the middle of the river. One of the most popular ways to enjoy the Pearl River in Guangzhou is by cruise, which allows you to pass beneath the 10 bridges that span the water while seeing landmarks, like the White Goose Pool and Canton Tower, from the water. Evening cruises can be combined with dinner or Cantonese opera performance for a full night out on the town.
Pearl River Night Cruise in Guangzhou with Private Transfer
$59.00 per adult
Our group of 4 visited Guangzhou in November and our guide was Ben. He had a very friendly attitude and our tour went smoothly. He was very knowledgeable and he also helped us with suggestions for other sights to visit in the city for the rest of our trip. We had a great time and I highly recommend this tour!
KrenzyAnn_V, Feb 2020
Things to know before you go
- The Pearl River offers a romantic experience for couples and first-time visitors.
- Cruise excursions generally last between 90 minutes and three hours, depending on the activities included.
- Book your river cruise ahead of time and skip the line at the ticket booth.
How to get there
To get to the Pearl River in Guangzhou, take the metro Line 2 or 6 to Haizhu Square Station and leave through Exit A. Several city buses make a stop at nearby Tianzi Matou (Tianzi Wharf) Station.
When to get there
While boats ply the waters throughout the day, the best time to experience the sights of the river is at night, when the Guangzhou skyline is colorfully lit up.
Pearl River Scenery Corridor
Visitors who prefer to keep their feet on solid ground can still soak up the sights of the Pearl River by taking a stroll along the Scenery Corridor. This 14-mile (23-km) path is lined with historic points of interest, including the Huangpu Military Academy, Xinghai Concert Hall, and Shamian historic site.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Pearl River (Zhujiang)?
Attractions near Pearl River (Zhujiang):
What else should I know about attractions in Guangzhou?
- Things to do in Southern China
- Things to do in Shenzhen
- Things to do in Macau SAR
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Guilin
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Xiamen
- Things to do in Nanchang
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Zhangjiajie
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Canton Tower
- Guangdong Museum of Art (GDMoA)
- Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall (Sun Zhongshan Ji Nian Tang)
- Guangzhou Museum
- Temple of the Five Immortals (Wuxian Guan)
- Huaisheng Mosque
- Temple of the Six Banyan Trees (Liurong Si)
- Yuexiu Park (Yuexiu Gongyuan)
- Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King
- Bright Filial Piety Temple (Guangxiao Si)
- Shamian Island
- Chen Clan Academy (Chen Jia Ci)
- White Cloud Mountain (Baiyun Shan)
- Chimelong Paradise
- Chimelong Safari Park