From craft beer tastings to scenic boat cruises, there’s plenty to do in Hamburg. Bike through different neighborhoods, see some street art, and venture out to the countryside—here’s how to spend three days in this northern German port city.
The copper dome and gold clock of St. Michaelis’ 433-foot tower is a striking feature of Hamburg’s cityscape. The tower rises from a network of small alleys known as the Krameramtswohnungen, where half-timbered houses from the 17th century line the streets. The church is a popular landmark during city tours of Hamburg including walking tours, bus tours, and the hop-on hop-off bus.
Very nice tour! Great...
Very nice tour! Great tour guide :)would highly recommend it for anyone who wants to get to know Hamburg in a fun way
Silva_D, Apr 2022
Things to know before you go
- The Church of St. Michaelis is a must-see attraction for history buffs and travelers seeking panoramic views.
- Don’t miss the chance to descend into the church’s crypt for a tour full of tales from centuries of history.
- The church is only partially accessible to wheelchairs and strollers; the church and crypt are accessible but the tower can only be reached by climbing a spiral staircase.
- Download the MichelApp, a free app with audio guides detailing the building’s history.
How to get there
The Church of St. Michaelis is located near the Alsterfllet canal in the historic section of Hamburg. It is easily reached by public transportation; take the metro to Rodingsmarkt. Most visitors arrive on foot, via public transportation, or with a guided tour; parking is limited.
When to get there
The church is open daily with slightly reduced hours during the winter months. The busiest time of year to visit Hamburg is during the summer months; sidestep the crowds by planning a trip during the spring or fall months. For the quietest experience at the tower, visit first thing in the morning. Sunset is also a special time to climb the tower.
Music at St. Michaelis
In addition to the clock tower, one of the main draws to this church is its music program. Check the church’s online calendar for up-to-date details on concerts from a range of groups including a choir, a horn ensemble, a youth choir, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)?
What else should I know about attractions in Hamburg?
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- Museum for Hamburg History
- St. Pauli Piers
- Port of Hamburg
- St. Nikolai Memorial
- Hamburg Dungeon
- Speicherstadt Coffee Roastery (Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei)
- Warehouse District Museum (Speicherstadtmuseum)
- Miniatur Wunderland
- Hamburg City Hall (Rathaus)
- Reeperbahn & St Pauli District
- Rickmer Rickmers