Dong Khoi Street (Duong Dong Khoi)
Due to Dong Khoi Street’s central location and proximity to many notable landmarks, most visitors to Ho Chi Minh City will find themselves there at some point during their stay. Many sightseeing tours of the city, especially walking tours, pass along the street while moving between places such as the Saigon Opera House, Notre Dame Cathedral, People’s Committee Building, and Ben Thanh Market. The street also makes a pleasant setting for an evening cyclo ride for the chance to see some of the architecture illuminated.
Things to Know Before You Go
Dong Khoi Street is a must-visit for shoppers, architecture buffs, and first-time visitors.
Wear comfortable walking shoes; there’s a lot to see and a lot of ground to cover in this attraction-packed neighborhood.
Credit cards are accepted at many of the shops, restaurants, and hotels along this street.
How to Get There
Dong Khoi Street is within easy walking distance of many notable points of interest in Ho Chi Minh City. If you’re coming from farther afield, the 13, 58, and 60 buses all stop along the street.
When to Get There
Dong Khoi Street is well worth a couple of visits during your trip. Come during the day to stroll the shady sidewalks and enjoy the shopping and cafés, but plan to come back after dark when the illuminated French colonial architecture creates a romantic atmosphere.
What’s in a Name?
Dong Khoi Street has gone through several name changes in its history. It began as Rue Catinat during the French occupation of Vietnam, when it was the epicenter of European glamour in the city. During the Vietnam War, it was renamed Tu Do, or “Freedom Street,” and became the city’s red-light district. After the Communists took over Saigon, it was renamed Dong Khoi, which translates to “Total Revolution.”
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- Saigon Opera House (Opéra de Saïgon)
- Vietnam Cookery Center
- Saigon Skydeck
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)
- Bitexco Financial Tower
- Saigon Central Post Office
- Ben Thanh Market (Cho Ben Thanh)
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Ho Chi Minh City Cruise Ports
- Can Gio Mangrove Biosphere Reserve
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Pham Ngu Lao Street
- Tao Dan Park
- Jade Emperor Pagoda