The Vietnam War—or the American War as it was known in Vietnam—remains one of the most significant events in Vietnamese history, and the region surrounding Ho Chi Minh City sat at the heart of the conflict. Learn more about the city’s war history on a guided tour with these options.
Giac Lam Pagoda (Chua Giac Lam)
118 Lac Long Quan, Tan Binh, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City
Like many other Vietnamese Buddhist temples, Giac Lam Pagoda mixes elements of Buddhism with Taoism and Confucianism. The main temple was built in 1744, but the most prominent part of the complex is the seven-storied stupa which was started in the 1970s and completed in the early 1990s (after decades of delay due to the Vietnam War). The towering structure now houses items said to be relics of the Buddha.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is no fee to enter the pagoda or the complex.
Make sure to dress modestly when visiting the temple, covering your shoulders and knees.
The relics in the new stupa are located on the top floor and can only be accessed via stairs.
How to Get There
The Giac Lam Pagoda is located west of the central part of the city, about 1.8 miles (3 km) from Cholon, Ho Chi Minh City’s Chinatown. The easiest way to reach the site from central Ho Chi Minh City or Cholon is by taxi or motorbike taxi.
When to Get There
The temple is open from sunrise until noon and then again from early afternoon until late in the evening. Prayers are held daily in the pre-dawn hours, around noon, in the late afternoon, and in the evening.
Travelers often combine a trip to the Giac Lam Pagoda with a visit to the Cholon district. Cholon is the largest Chinatown in Vietnam and is full of interesting Chinese temples, markets, and restaurants. The atmosphere and architecture is quite different from the rest of Ho Chi Minh City. The neighborhood can be reached by bus from the market area in central Ho Chi Minh City, or by taxi or motorcycle taxi from anywhere in town.
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Hoi An
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast
- Dam Sen Water Park (Cong Vien Nuoc Dam Sen)
- Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine (Fito Museum)
- Quan Am Pagoda (Chua Quan Am)
- Thien Hau Temple (Chua Ba Thien Hau)
- Binh Tay Market (Cho Binh Tay)
- Cholon (Saigon Chinatown)
- Bach Dang Wharf (Ben Bach Dang)
- Tao Dan Park
- War Remnants Museum (Bao Tang Chung Tich Chien Tranh)
- Pham Ngu Lao Street
- Reunification Palace (Independence Palace)
- Cu Chi Wildlife Rescue Station
- Ben Thanh Market (Cho Ben Thanh)
- Paris Square (Cong Truong Cong Xa Paris)
- Museum of Fine Arts