Macquarie Wharf Cruise Ship Terminal (Hobart Cruise Port)
Situated within walking distance of downtown Hobart, the Macquarie Wharf Cruise Ship Terminal is the principal gateway to Tasmania, Australia’s smallest state. Explore the country’s southernmost capital city—also one of the oldest—or use the Hobart Cruise Port as a jumping-off point for visits to Port Arthur, Bruny Island, and kunanyi (Mount Wellington).
Walkable Hobart is easily explored on foot on just one day, ideal for first-time visitors. Head out independently direct from ship or opt for guided tours of the Tasmanian capital to learn more about its colonial and aboriginal past, explore the city’s pubs, or go gin-tasting. Shore excursions are also available, with destinations such as Port Arthur (the former penal colony), Bruny Island, Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, and kunanyi (Mount Wellington). Some excursions combine some or all the above and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Shore excursions are a convenient way to explore Tasmania from the Hobart Cruise Port.
- The Macquarie Wharf Cruise Ship Terminal provides seating, visitor information, duty-free shopping, currency exchange desks, and restrooms.
- Most of the cafés along the harbor front offer free Wi-Fi with the purchase of food or drink.
- Ride to the top of kunanyi (Mount Wellington) for some of the best views over Hobart on a clear day—shuttles depart the Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre twice daily.
How to Get to Hobart From the Macquarie Wharf Cruise Ship Terminal
The Macquarie Wharf Cruise Ship Terminal is situated within walking distance of downtown Hobart. Taxis are also plentiful for those with mobility issues, while most shore excursions include round-trip transportation to and from Hobart Cruise Port.
The official currency in Hobart is the Australian dollar, and you’ll find ATMs at the tourist office and in Salamanca Place and Square. The official language is English.
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Northern Territory
- Constitution Dock
- Lark Distillery
- St. David's Cathedral
- Hobart Convict Penitentiary
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
- Maritime Museum of Tasmania
- Mawson's Hut Replica Museum
- Sullivan's Cove
- Hobart Salamanca Market
- Parliament House
- St. George's Anglican Church
- Battery Point
- South Hobart
- Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens
- Queens Domain