Beyazit Mosque (Beyazit Camii)
Beyazit Mosque was built over the ruins of the Forum of Theodosius and incorporated some of the stones from the forum into the mosque construction. It’s located in the Beyazit neighborhood on Istanbul’s historical peninsula, close to the Grand Bazaar. There is a garden behind the mosque.
Due to its proximity to Sultanahmet, some small-group and private walking tours visit sites around Beyazit Mosque, including the Grand Bazaar, Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and Topkapi Palace.
Things to Know Before You Go
Beyazit Mosque is an active place of worship and is closed to visitors during prayer times.
Wear shoes that are easy to slip on and off when you visit the mosque.
Prayer times are longer on Fridays, so the mosque is closed for more of the day. Make sure to check on any Muslim and Turkish holidays, as these can also affect opening hours.
How to Get There
Beyazit Mosque is on Istanbul’s historical peninsula and is easily accessible by public transportation and taxi. To get there by public transit, take the tram to the Beyazit stop, a short walk away from the mosque. It’s also easy to walk from Sultanahmet Square. Alternatively, skip the hassle of arranging your arrival with an Istanbul tour that includes round-trip transport.
When to Get There
Arrive in the morning to beat the crowds at the mosque. It is open from morning through the evening, though the mosque is closed to the public during prayer times, which can be found online. Make sure to check the hours, as prayer times are longer on Fridays and on major Muslim holidays.
Around the Mosque
Some of the buildings that were formerly part of the mosque complex still stand, but today have different functions. The former public kitchens of the mosque became the State Library of Istanbul in the 19th century. The former madrassa is now the Istanbul Municipal Library. You can also spot an arcade of shops that historically funded the mosque.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Grand Bazaar (Kapali Çarsi)
- Column of Constantine (Çemberlitaş Sütunu)
- Süleymaniye Mosque (Süleymaniye Camii)
- Spice Bazaar (Misir Carsisi)
- Galata Bridge (Galata Köprüsü)
- Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque (Sokollu Mehmet Paşa Camii)
- Rustem Pasha Mosque (Rüstem Paşa Camii)
- New Mosque (Yeni Cami)
- Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts (Türk Islam Eserleri Müzesi Hizmete)
- Eminӧnü Square (Eminönü Meydani)
- Serpent Column (Yilani Sütun)
- Hodjapasha Culture Center (Hocapasa Kültür Merkezi)
- Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus (Kücük Ayasofya Camii)
- Sultanahmet District
- Hippodrome (Sultanahmet Meydani)