Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus (Kücük Ayasofya Camii)
The Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus has a distinctive irregular octagonal shape. After a restoration in 2006, the mosque’s interior was returned to its Ottoman-era decoration, though some aspects that date to Byzantine times are still visible. The church—now a mosque—still functions as an active place of worship.
Some small-group and private walking tours combine a visit to Kücük Ayasofya Mosque with other sights nearby, including Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, Suleymaniye Mosque, Topkapi Palace, and the Chora Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The church is a must-visit for architecture buffs.
This is an active mosque and is closed to visitors during prayer times.
Bring a scarf or wrap to cover up appropriately before entering, and wear shoes that are easy to remove.
How to Get There
Located in the Kumkapi neighborhood, the sight is walking distance from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia in Sultanahmet Square. It is easily accessible by bus and from the Sultanahmet tram stop.
When to Get There
The building is open daily from the morning until evening. Arrive early to beat the crowds. The mosque is closed to non-Muslims during prayer times, which are longer on Fridays; check times online. Muslim and Turkish holidays can affect opening hours as well.
How to Visit a Mosque
To enter a mosque in Istanbul, it is necessary to dress appropriately. All visitors must remove their shoes and cover their shoulders and knees; women need to cover their heads as well. Most Istanbul mosques provide coverings if you need them, but plan ahead and bring your own scarf—or wear long pants or a long skirt and something on your shoulders—to visit mosques more easily and efficiently.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Sokollu Mehmet Pasha Mosque (Sokollu Mehmet Paşa Camii)
- Serpent Column (Yilani Sütun)
- Sultanahmet District
- Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts (Türk Islam Eserleri Müzesi Hizmete)
- Great Palace Mosaic Museum
- Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii)
- Arasta Bazaar
- Column of Constantine (Çemberlitaş Sütunu)
- Hippodrome (Sultanahmet Meydani)
- Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayi)
- Grand Bazaar (Kapali Çarsi)
- Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya)
- Beyazit Mosque (Beyazit Camii)
- Hagia Irene (Aya Irini)
- Galata Bridge (Galata Köprüsü)