Maiden’s Tower (Kiz Kulesi)
Maiden’s Tower takes its name from a legend in which an emperor’s daughter was locked in the tower until she turned 18, but its historical origins are actually unclear. What we do know is that the structure dates back nearly 2,000 years, though its modern-day stone version comes from the Ottoman era.
Small-group and private tours that visit Maiden’s Tower typically include a Bosphorus cruise and may visit other attractions along the Bosphorus, such as Dolmabahce Palace, Rumeli Hisari medieval fortress, or the Anadolu Kavagi neighborhood.
Things to Know Before You Go
Maiden’s Tower is ideal for history enthusiasts.
There is a restaurant and bar in the tower, with panoramic views of the city.
Due to stairs, the tower is not accessible to wheelchairs or strollers.
How to Get There
Maiden’s Tower is accessible only by boat. Shuttle boats depart regularly from the Asian-side Uskudar ferry port and the European-side Kabatas ferry port. You can reach Uskudar by ferry, metro, local bus, or taxi, and Kabatas by tram, bus, and taxi.
When to Get There
Maiden’s Tower is open from morning through evening every day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served at the on-site restaurant; it’s wise to make reservations for dinner. Maiden’s Tower is particularly popular on weekends and sunny days, thanks to its excellent views of the city.
See Asia and Europe in Istanbul
Maiden’s Tower is one of few places in Istanbul that offers excellent views of both the European and Asian sides of the city. You can get similar views of the two continents on a Bosphorus cruise or commuter ferry, both of which are ways to reach Maiden’s Tower.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Küçüksu Palace (Küçüksu Kasri)
- Rumeli Fortress (Rumeli Hisari)
- Borusan Contemporary
- Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge
- Istinye Park
- Sakip Sabanci Museum
- Emirgan Park (Emirgan Korusu)
- Beylerbeyi Palace (Beylerbeyi Sarayi)
- Istanbul Sapphire
- Yildiz Palace Museum (Yildiz Sarayi Müzesi)
- Camlica Hill (Camlica Tepesi)
- Bosphorus Bridge (Bogazici Koprusu)
- Ural Ataman Classic Car Museum
- Dolmabahce Palace (Dolmabahce Sarayi)