Carara National Park (Parque Nacional Carara)
At the confluence of two important Costa Rican ecosystems—the wet and wild Pacific Rainforest that characterizes the southern coast, and the dry tropical forest for which Guanacaste is known—this small, popular national park packs a lot of wildlife into a 5240-hectare (12,950-acre) package.
Most notably, Carara is home to one of Costa Rica’s last remaining populations of scarlet macaws, who you’ll likely see gossiping and preening in small groups throughout the park. The Rio Tarcoles, which forms the park’s northern border, is well known for its enormous population of huge crocodiles.
There are two short, 1km (.6mi) interpretive trails through the wilderness and waterfalls, perfect for families and less active travelers. A longer, 4.5km (2.7mi) trail follows the Rio Tarcoles and mangrove marshes, where both the crocodiles and scarlet macaws settle in for the evening.
There are scores of other animals in residence, hailing from both forest ecosystems straddled by Carara: sloths, peccaries, deer, monkeys, armadillos, and even big cats. Birders will appreciate the bounty most, with some 400 species easily spotted in this relatively small area.
Carara National Park (Parque Nacional Carara) Tours and Activities
What are Carara National Park (Parque Nacional Carara) hours of operation?
Should I book Carara National Park (Parque Nacional Carara) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Carara National Park (Parque Nacional Carara) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Carara National Park (Parque Nacional Carara)?
- Carara National Park from Jaco
- Puntarenas sightseeing tour
- Jungle & River ATV Exploration & Crocodile Safari. Puntarenas Shore Excursion
- Rainforest Skywalk & Tarcoles River Eco Cruise Tour Puntarenas Shore excursion
Things to do near Jaco
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Alajuela
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in La Fortuna
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Managua
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest