Mount of Olives Cemetery
Located just outside the Old City of Jerusalem, the expansive cemetery can be explored on walking tours of Jerusalem or viewed from above on tours that stop at the top of the Mount of Olives. Jewish-oriented guided tours frequently include the Mount of Olives Jewish Cemetery alongside important religious sites such as the Western Wall, Jewish Quarter, and Via Dolorosa.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The historic cemetery is an important part of any Judaism-focused tour of Jerusalem.
- A guided tour allows you to absorb the historic and religious significance within the cemetery.
- The cemetery is on a steep hillside, so make the route through the tombs easier by starting at the Mount of Olives overlook and walking down to the Old City.
- The Mount of Olives Information Center can help you locate specific graves in the cemetery.
How to Get There
You can reach the Mount of Olives by taxi, bus, or on foot from East Jerusalem or the Lions’ Gate in the Old City. To avoid navigating the public transportation system and busy streets on your own, visit the cemetery on a group tour.
When to Get There
You can visit the cemetery year-round but spring and fall offer the best temperatures for walking through the steep paths of the cemetery. If you visit in the summer, arrive in the early morning to beat the heat and take in the site in the relative cool and solitude.
Famous Tombs The cemetery is the final resting place for prominent Jewish figures famous throughout history. Historic tombs include that of King David’s son Absalom and heralds of Zionism such as Ohr haChaim, Rabbi Chaim Ibn Attar, and Rabbi Yehuda Alcalay. Important figures continue to be buried at the cemetery in modern times, including Israel’s sixth Prime Minister, Menachem Begin.
- Things to do in Bethlehem
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Amman
- Things to do in Petra
- Things to do in Beirut
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Aqaba
- Things to do in Port Said
- Things to do in Suez
- Things to do in Dahab
- Things to do in Larnaca
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Dominus Flevit Church
- Chapel of the Ascension
- Garden of Gethsemane
- Church of All Nations (Basilica of the Agony)
- Tomb of the Virgin Mary (Mary's Tomb)
- Hezekiah's Tunnel (Siloam Tunnel)
- Kidron Valley
- Al-Aqsa Mosque
- Dome of the Rock
- Temple Mount (al-Haram al-Sharif)
- Western Wall Tunnels
- Church of St. Anne
- Underground Jerusalem
- Pool of Bethesda
- Way of the Cross (Via Dolorosa)