Southern Lamai Beach is where you’ll find the most activity, as well as dining and shopping options. As there is no offshore reef here, the waters are deep and clear, making for good swimming conditions. Overall, the sand on Lamai Beach is made up of granite particles, so it’s coarse and can be rough for sunbathing; beach chairs are available. Splurge and hire a private charter to explore Koh Samui’s beaches including Lamai.
Things to know before you go
- Lamai Beach is a good spot to look for resort accommodations and tasty restaurants on Koh Samui.
- Much of the beach access is blocked by resorts, but the public can gain access through the restaurant zone.
- Box jellyfish can pose a risk in Koh Samui, with peak season from June through October; vinegar stands can be found on some Thai beaches to alleviate stings.
How to get there
Lamai Beach is on Koh Samui’s southeastern coast, around 6 miles (10 kilometers) south of Chaweng Beach; it’s about a 10-minute drive from there. Taxis are readily available around the island and in lieu of an organized public transit system, locals hop on a songthaew, an inexpensive option similar to a bus.
When to get there
On Sundays, check out the night market where you’ll find goods, from clothing to handicrafts, plus plenty of street food stalls. Try the caramelized kalamae, a sweet, sticky candy made of rice flour, palm sugar, and coconut cream. Overall, peak season in Koh Samui is from December to February because of the warm temperatures and lack of rainy days.
Grandmother and Grandfather Rocks (Hin Yai and Hin Ta)
These rocky formations are perhaps one of the most photographed (and giggled about) attractions on Lamai Beach, thanks to their uncanny resemblance to male and female genitalia. Located by the Hua Thanon fishing village, the rocks, according to legend, are the shipwrecked bodies of an elderly couple that turned to stone.
- Grandmother and Grandfather Rocks (Hin Yai/Hin Ta)
- Chaweng Beach
- Wat Khunaram (Mummified Monk)
- Butterfly Hill Samui
- Na Muang Waterfall
- Secret Buddha Garden (Magic Garden)
- High Park Samui
- Samui Water Park Pink Elephant
- Big Buddha Temple (Wat Phra Yai)
- Koh Tan (Koh Taen)
- Ang Thong National Marine Park
- Aow Leuk Beach