With three days in Krabi, you can wander temples and markets, explore jungles and caves, and chill out on white-sand beaches. There’s even time to try out a few exciting activities, such as climbing, snorkeling, and kayaking. Here’s how to make the most of 72 hours in Krabi.
Tup Island (Koh Tup)
Tup Island, Krabi, Thailand
Almost everyone visits Tup and Mor islands on an island-hopping trip from Ao Nang or Krabi, generally the 4-island tour with Chicken Island (Ko Gai), Poda Island (Koh Poda), and Phranang Beach. Locals call the dividing sandbar Talay Waek, which means “divided sea”, and it’s often possible to wade across to the much larger Chicken Island as well. While travelers do snorkel the reef around the sandbar, it’s the photo opportunities that really draw people here.
Things to know before you go
- Tup Island is a great choice for Instagrammers.
- There’s little shade cover on the islands. Bring sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water.
- Wear waterproof shoes or flip-flops to walk along the sandbar. Coral fragments can cut bare feet.
- As you’d expect from an island barely 150 feet (45 meters) in diameter, Koh Tup has no bathrooms. There are basic toilets on Poda Island and Chicken Island.
- Tup Island boats pull up on the sandbar or near the beach so travelers can jump over the side and walk ashore. They’re not suitable for travelers who rely on wheelchairs.
How to get there
Tup Island lies about two miles (three kilometers) south of the Railay Peninsula, a promontory in between Ao Nang and Krabi that’s accessible only by boat. Book a tour or arrange a private boat charter.
When to get there
Tup Island can get extremely busy during Krabi’s high season (December and January), which is a problem given the island’s tiny size. Try visiting outside peak season or hiring a private long-tail boat to beat the group tours to the island.
The 7-Islands Tour
The Krabi 4-islands tour is a favorite way to visit Tup Island. But you can see even more of the islands on a 7-islands tour, which is a great choice for snorkelers. The three additional islands are Sii Island (Koh Sii), a popular dive site with colorful corals, Daeng Island (Koh Daeng), a red sandstone islet with very clear waters, and Ma Tang Ming Island (Ko Ma Tang Ming), a towering limestone pinnacle.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Tup Island (Koh Tup)?
What else should I know about attractions in Krabi?
- Poda Island (Koh Poda)
- Phra Nang Beach (Phranang Beach)
- Railay Beach
- Ao Nang Beach
- Ao Thalane (Thalane Bay)
- Tiger Cave Temple (Wat Tham Suea)
- Koh Yao Yai (Ko Yao Yai)
- Phi Phi Islands (Koh Phi Phi)
- Wat Khlong Thom Museum
- Wareerak Hot Spring Spa
- Phang Nga Bay (Ao Phang Nga)
- Ao Luk
- Hong Islands (Mu Ko Hong)
- Emerald Pool (Sa Morakot)
- Koh Panyee (Koh Panyi)