The National Museum provides a fantastic introduction to Malaysia’s history and is therefore a great way to kick-start your time in Kuala Lumpur (KL). Sightseeing tours nearly always feature the National Museum on the itinerary: Even if you don’t go inside, you’re still likely to stop to admire the museum’s exterior. Comprehensive KL tours typically combine the museum with stops at the Batu Caves, the Petronas Towers, and the National Mosque (Masjid Negara).
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum appeals to history buffs and first-time visitors seeking an overview of Malaysia’s history.
The National Museum is fully wheelchair-accessible.
There is a small admission fee to enter the museum, which typically takes travelers 45 minutes to enjoy. Children ages 6 and under enter for free.
Within walking distance of the museum, the Perdana Botanical Gardens provide a relaxing break from the bustle of the city.
How to Get There
The museum is accessible by the RapidKL bus 115 and is stop number 12 on Kuala Lumpur hop-on hop-off buses—a sightseeing option that combines the freedom of independent travel with the convenience of a tour. Parking is available for a small charge. In order to skip the hassle of using public transport in an unfamiliar city, most travelers opt to visit the museum as part of a city tour.
When to Get There
The National Museum is open daily from 9am until 6pm. From Monday through Saturday at 10am, Malay volunteers offer free guided tours in English.
Highlights of the National Museum
Across the prehistoric, colonial, Malay, and modern-day galleries, museum must-sees include a seated bodhisattva (a person who has reached the Buddhist state of nirvana) thought to be 1,000 years old; a replica of the oldest intact human skeleton in Southeast Asia; an ancient burial pole from Borneo; and a steam locomotive used during Malaysia’s colonial period.
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Port Klang (Kuala Lumpur Cruise Port)
- Kuala Lumpur Little India (Jalan Masjid India)
- Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
- National Mosque of Malaysia (Masjid Negara)
- Perdana Botanical Garden (Lake Gardens)
- Jamek Mosque (Masjid Jamek)
- Templer Park
- Kuala Lumpur Butterfly Park
- Kuala Lumpur Railway Station
- Sri Mahamariamman Temple
- Central Market (Pasar Seni)
- Kuala Lumpur City Gallery
- Kuala Lumpur National Monument (Tugu Negara)
- Chan See Shu Yuen Temple
- Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka)