Church and Convent of Saint Francis (Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco) Tours and Tickets
The Church and Convent of Saint Francis (Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco) is a spectacular example of Moorish-inspired Spanish baroque colonial grandeur, but the real highlight is the spooky labyrinth of catacombs underground.
One of the best preserved churches in Lima, the Convent of San Francis of Assisi also has a remarkable library of antique texts and a tranquil cloistered garden.
A guided visit to the Museum and Convent takes you through the buildings’ history and architecture, before venturing into the underground passages lined with the bones of 25,000 Lima citizens from over 200 years of burials.
Bones were interred here until 1808, when Lima’s cemetery was established, and the catacombs lay undiscovered until 1943. A visit is not for the fainthearted, but those who do make the journey will be surprised to see the various skulls and thigh bones arranged in decorative patterns.
On the tour you’ll also visit the library of antique books, the pretty cloister, the museum of religious paintings and artifacts, the carved choir stalls and the Moorish-domed church.
Tours and Tickets to Experience Church and Convent of Saint Francis (Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco)
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Andes
- Lima Art Museum (Museo de Arte de Lima - MALI)
- Park of the Reserve (Parque de la Reserva)
- Love Park (Parque del Amor)
- Magic Water Circuit
- Plaza San Martin
- Sanctuary of Las Nazarenas (Iglesia de las Nazarenas)
- San Pedro Church (Iglesia de San Pedro)
- Cathedral of Lima (Catedral de Lima)
- Lima Plaza Mayor
- Historic Centre of Lima (Centro Historico de Lima)
- Municipal Palace (City Hall of Lima)
- Archbishop’s Palace of Lima
- Iglesia de Santo Domingo
- Presidential Palace
- National Museum of Archaeology, Anthropology, and History