Lima Cruise Port
Head straight to the UNESCO-recognized Lima—via shuttle, shore excursion, or taxi—after docking at the Lima Cruise Port. In the city, don’t miss the Plaza de Armas, catacombs, and National Archaeological Museum. Gourmet food, history, and neighborhood-specific tours are popular, as are farther-flung day trips to Palomino Islands to spot sea lions; sandboarding experiences; and surfing classes. If you have more time to spare, Lima is also the jumping-off point for several multi-day trips to Cusco, Inca archaeological sites, and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The area around the cruise port is generally considered unsafe and there’s little to do there anyway—your best bet is to head straight for Lima or arrange a shore excursion.
- Lima is situated approximately a 40-minute drive from the Callao Port. Plan accordingly if you want to explore independently.
- Free shuttles run between the port and Miraflores neighborhood in downtown Lima.
- Shore excursions are convenient ways to make the most of limited time in Lima, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Lima is a famously rain-free city, although it’s often overcast and shrouded in sea fog from May to October.
How to Get to Lima From the Lima Cruise Port
Cruise ships dock at the Port of Callao, about 7 miles from the center of Lima. Reasonably priced taxis into the city are available at the port and the trip typically takes around 40 minutes. There are also free shuttles which run to the Miraflores neighborhood, while shore excursions generally include round-trip transportation as standard.
Spanish and Quechua are the official languages in Peru, but English is widely spoken in shops, hotels, and restaurants in Lima. The currency is the nuevo sol, but some places may take US dollars. ATMs are readily available in the city center, although some may only accept local cards, and credit cards are typically accepted.
- Things to do in Paracas
- Things to do in Ica
- Things to do in Huaraz
- Things to do in Sacred Valley
- Things to do in Cusco
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Andes
- Palomino Island (Isla Palomino)
- Sanctuary of Las Nazarenas (Iglesia de las Nazarenas)
- Church and Convent of Saint Francis (Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco)
- Larco Museum (Museo Larco)
- Plaza San Martin
- Lima Art Museum (Museo de Arte de Lima - MALI)
- National Museum of Archaeology, Anthropology, and History
- Iglesia de Santo Domingo
- Municipal Palace (City Hall of Lima)
- Historic Centre of Lima (Centro Historico de Lima)
- Lima Plaza Mayor
- Cathedral of Lima (Catedral de Lima)
- Archbishop’s Palace of Lima
- Presidential Palace
- San Pedro Church (Iglesia de San Pedro)