Piazza dell'Anfiteatro Tours and Activities - page 2
The Piazza dell'Anfiteatro is a large square in the center of historic Lucca. As the name suggests, it was once the site of a Roman amphitheatre, one that was built in the first century and could hold up to 10,000 people. The remains of that structure now lie more than nine feet underground, but the oval shape of the piazza is a direct result of the outline of the amphitheatre.
The Piazza dell'Anfiteatro was built in 1830 by demolishing some buildings that had been constructed in the space. It became the site of the town's market, and is the heart of the old city today.
Tours and Activities to Experience Piazza dell'Anfiteatro
Frequently Asked Questions
- Pisa Lucca city of Pinocchio and tasting local wines from Port of Livorno
- Livorno Shore Excursion: Pisa and Lucca Private Day Trip
- Flavours of Lucca Small Group Art, History, Food and Wine tastings Tour
- Lucca Bikes and Bites Small groups with food tastings
- Devil's Bridge (Ponte del Diavolo or Ponte della Maddalena)
- Puccini Museum
- Lucca Cathedral (Duomo di Lucca)
- Cathedral Museum Complex (Complesso Museale e Archeologico della Cattedrale di Lucca)
- Puccini e la sua Lucca International Permanent Festival
- Lucca Clock Tower (Torre delle Ore)
- Piazza dell'Anfiteatro