Swiss Museum of Transport (Verkehrshaus der Schweiz)
With over 215,000 square feet (20,000 square meters) of exhibition space, the Swiss Transport Museum draws visitors young to old. Apart from the many halls dedicated to road, rail, and air travel, the museum has a virtual reality room, a planetarium, and the largest IMAX screen in Switzerland playing films about nature and space. Playing with the transportation theme, the Swiss Chocolate Adventure where a multimedia ride covers the history of the origins and production of chocolate. Travelers may explore Swiss Transport Museum and its Swiss Chocolate Adventure during a half-day, full-day, private or group tour of Lucerne, which incorporates a boat ride and visit to the city’s charming Old Town and popular attractions like Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument, and Picasso Museum. More extensive tours tag on a journey to Vitznau to ride the cog train up Mt Rigi for spectacular Alpine views.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for solo travelers, couples, and families.
- Admission is about US$40 for adults; and about US$15 for children.
- For about US$56 adult travelers can have access to the Transport Museum, Chocolate Adventure, IMAX screenings, and Planetarium.
- The museum has an array of restaurants and cafés.
- Tours may include round-trip hotel transfers. Check specific tours for details.
How to Get There
The Swiss Museum of Transport is located on Lidostrasse along the shores of Lake Lucerne, and easily accessible from the center of town. Take bus #6, #8, or #24 and disembark at the Verkehrshaus stop, which is right in front of an exhibition building. If driving, parking is on-site.
When to Get There
The Swiss Transport Museum is open in the summer, 10am - 5pm and winter, from 9am - 5pm. Lucerne is a year-round destination, and with its proximity to the Alps, even the summers are pleasant. Peak season is from June to September, with July and August as the busiest and most expensive months. November through mid-April is ski season. Come in February or March for the carnival festival.
Cocoa Paradise All aboard a chocolate cube car for a 30-minute multimedia, sensory experience at the Swiss Chocolate Adventure inside the Swiss Transport Museum. Whirl through the cultivation of cocoa beans in Ghana, all the way to alpine meadows with Matterhorn Mountain in the background, while learning how Swiss chocloate is made, its origins, and production. The ride ends with samples by Lindt's master chocolatiers.
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Annecy
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Richard Wagner Museum
- Culture and Congress Centre (KKL)
- Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstättersee)
- Lion Monument (Löwendenkmal)
- Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrucke)
- Rosengart Collection (Museum Sammlung Rosengart)
- Lucerne Old Town
- Lucerne Jesuit Church (Jesuitenkirche Luzern)
- Lucerne (Luzern)
- Mt. Pilatus
- Mount Rigi
- Pilatus Railways (Pilatus Bahnen)
- Mt. Stanserhorn CabriO Cable Car