Operated by the Salesian Sisters, an order of nuns with missions in the Upper Amazon region, the Indian Museum (Museu do Índio) displays a collection of weapons, musical instruments, ritual masks, ceramics, tools and ceremonial clothing from the indigenous tribes of the Amazon rainforest, mostly from the states of Amazonas and Pará.
Apart from touring the collection to learn more about the region’s tribes, the museum also offers visitors the chance to shop for authentic índio handicrafts, like necklaces and baskets made from natural materials, in the small gift shop.
The Indian Museum is closed on Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday.
- Rio Negro Palace (Palácio Rio Negro)
- Church of San Sebastian (Igreja Sao Sebastiao)
- Amazon Theatre (Teatro Amazonas)
- Manaus Palace of Justice (Palácio de Justiça)
- Adolpho Lisboa Municipal Market (Mercado Adolpho Lisboa)
- CIGS Zoo
- Meeting of Waters (Encontro das Aguas)
- Ponta Negra Beach (Praia de Ponta Negra)
- Manaus Botanical Gardens (MUSA - Museu da Amazonia)
- Amazon River