Due to its Formula 1 fame, Albert Park is a regular feature on Melbourne sightseeing tours. Combine a visit to Albert Park with other top sporting Melbourne venues—which include Etihad Stadium, Flemington Racecourse, and the National Sports Museum—on a sport lovers tour, or explore the green space at your own pace as part of a hop-on hop-off sightseeing tour, which, in addition to covering Melbourne highlights such as Docklands, Fitzroy Gardens, and Chinatown, allows you to customize your own itinerary.
Things to know before you go
- There are three main picnic areas to enjoy in Albert Park, all with picnic shelters, electric barbecues, shady trees, toilets, and tables.
- The majority of Albert Park is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible
- The are more than six different cafes and restaurants in the park, which serve everything from classic Aussie brunch and smoothies to Thai dishes and toasties.
How to get there
You can use Melbourne’s historic tram system to get to Albert Park from the city in about 15 minutes. Tram #1 leaves from Swanson Street. Tram #112 leaves from Collins Street—and from Albert Park, it continues down to Fitzroy and St. Kilda.
When to get there
The park is open from dawn ‘till dusk, unless there’s a sporting event or concert taking place. The opening hours of the eateries and museums within the park vary, so it's worth checking the website of the exact attraction you plan to visit.
Gasworks Art Park
Located in the heart of Albert Park, Gasworks Art Park is a visual and performance arts space that exhibits the work of its 16 resident artists. You can admire contemporary art in a variety of mediums in the gallery; catch a performance at one of the theatres; wander among public art sculptures; or enjoy a coffee at the outdoor cafe.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- Moonlit Sanctuary
- Australian National Aviation Museum
- Ashcombe Maze & Lavender Gardens
- Sunny Ridge Strawberry Farm
- Brighton Beach
- LEGOLAND® Discovery Centre Melbourne
- Caulfield Racecourse
- Rippon Lea Estate
- Puffing Billy Railway
- Luna Park Melbourne
- St. Kilda, Melbourne
- Koala Reserve (Koala Conservation Centre)
- Phillip Island Circuit
- Phillip Island Nature Parks
- Chapel Street