Station Pier Cruise Ship Terminal
Most passengers docking at the Melbourne Cruise Port head straight for downtown Melbourne, just 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) away. Highlights of Australia’s second largest city include Queen Victoria Market, the Eureka Skydeck, and Federation Square. Group or private shore excursions typically include all of them and more, such as the Yarra River, Luna Park, and St. Kilda Beach.
Day trips abound from Melbourne too—drive down the Great Ocean Road or penguin-spot on Phillip Island. It’s also easy to reach Tasmania from Station Pier in Melbourne, as the “Spirit of Tasmania” runs regularly between Melbourne and Devonport and takes around 10 hours.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Station Pier is open to the public during daylight hours, with the exception of busy cruise ship days.
- Shore excursions are convenient ways for first-time visitors to see all that Melbourne and the surrounds have to offer.
- All visitors will need a Myki travel pass to access trams, buses, and trains in Melbourne; they’re available for purchase at the cruise terminal.
- Station Pier terminal doesn’t have luggage storage or car rental facilities; however, there are shops, lounges, accessible restrooms, free Wi-Fi, and tourist information points.
- Melbourne’s free City Circle tram loops around the city center and is a great way to get your bearings.
How to Get to Melbourne From the Station Pier Cruise Ship Terminal
Getting from Station Pier to central Melbourne via public transport is fairly straightforward. The Route 109 tram operates between Station Pier and Melbourne city center, as does the 109 City Express bus to St. Kilda Road. Both trips take roughly 20 minutes. Taxis also operate from a dedicated rank at the port and are good alternatives for those with lots of luggage.
English is the official language in Melbourne, but you may well hear people speaking Vietnamese, Cantonese, and Arabic too. The currency is the Australian dollar and ATMs are widely available throughout the city.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island
- South Wharf
- Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC)
- Polly Woodside
- Melbourne Sports & Aquatic Centre
- Crown Melbourne
- Marvel Stadium
- The District Docklands
- Melbourne Star Observation Wheel
- SEA LIFE® Melbourne Aquarium
- Immigration Museum
- Eureka Skydeck 88
- Melbourne Southgate